Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunday A Day of Rest

It has been a wonderful Sunday, yes there were still chores that needed to be done, but in between time, there was rest. Just to relax, spend time with God, my family, and to even take a nap it was so nice. A slower pace than the six previous day, it has been a difficult week, to have a day when a major problem doesn't show up is a blessing. Farming is not easy, just like any other profession, it has its moments of total frustration. I say, that Farming is the oldest Profession, after all Adam and Eve named the animals and picked the fruit. Look at what trouble the latter got us all into, it figures it was a farmer.
This week, I have begun bushogging, it always has been one of my favorite things to do, I know, I am odd. Our tractor is old, the bush hog is older, if I could have found a man as dependable and hardworking as that bush hog, I would probably be married. The farms landscape has changed over the years, the Ice storm of 2007, and the loggers, and Hedge fence posts cutters, have made a huge mess. Having to navigate around downed limbs, posts left in the pasture, and huge stumps of walnut, does not bring out the happy within me. With all the rain we have had, there are deep ruts, that when the grass hides, gives this old girl, a jolt in her Constitution, sometimes I just hold on for dear life. But for the most part, I enjoy going around and around cutting grass and the weeds, making a better place for our little brown cow's to graze. When I am finished with a particular field, I have a sense of accomplishment. In a nutshell, whether it is cleaning the milk barn, feeding the chickens, goats, calves, dogs cats and even the wild birds, weeding a flower garden or the vegetable garden, mowing the yard and yes even cleaning house, all these things gives me satisfaction. It is being there, in good times and disaster, at the beginning of a life and when the life takes its last breath and all the times in between, that is what it means to be a farmer to me. Good night All

No comments:

Post a Comment